Design dimensions of DSLs
In this part, we discuss design dimensions of DSLs. We discuss how
– linguistic abstraction
– platform influence
– static semantics
play role in designing domain-specific languages.
List of sources for images in slides
This part is based on Chapter 4 of M. Voelter’s book DSL Engineering.
- G. Karsai, H. Krahn, C. Pinkernell, B. Rumpe, M. Schindler, S. Völkel: Design guidelines for domain-specific languages
- F. P. Brooks: Language design as design
- M. Mernik, J. Heering, A. Sloane: When and how to develop domain-specific languages
- D. Spinellis: Notable design patterns for domain-specific languages
- D. Wile: Lessons learned from real DSL experiments
- A different view on Functional Programming
- F. J. Ros: A criticism of Ruby
- Safe-dereference operator